January 22, 2014

The Future (W3)

"My 62 feels more like 45. I am filled with energy, goals and desires. I have no plans to retire."

Woman 3 (W3) and I agreed that 62 is just not as old as it used to be. She is excited about her future and confident that she is not yet in her last and final chapter by any means.
W3 explained that she agreed to meet with me because she had enjoyed meeting me a few weeks prior and likes to share and learn from new people. "I wanted to spend time thinking of me. I don't usually do that."

"The two things working best in my life right now are my new job and my dedication to exercise." W3 went on to explain that there is not really anything in her life that is not working. She started exercising regularly six months ago explaining that she feels mentally and emotionally healthy and wants her physical health too.

W3 loves to read. She is the type to fall asleep with the book still open. She has such a hard time putting a book down that she rarely starts one late in the day for fear of staying up all night to finish.

She has Chiefs season tickets and loves the Royals. She loves The Phoenix and has fond memories of listening to The Scamps there. A true Kansas Citian for sure! She sometimes enjoys strolling through local cemeteries citing the quiet, the beauty of the stone work and trees as the draw.

When she needs to get away she likes to go for long drives. She enjoys cruising highways and byways. She doesn't always know where she is headed to when she jumps in the car but enjoys driving back roads, stopping at historical markers, and visiting out of the way places. When she needs to escape the everyday she takes the liberty of checking into a nearby hotel for a few days, relaxing, watching a movie or reading, and letting someone else make up the bed. (Decadent!)

She went on to explain that she has had the same best friend since they were four and five. She described many long term friendships saying that while each is unique and dear to her there are still parts of herself that she has never revealed to anyone.

She told me a little about the relationships that have influenced and shaped her. She said she had 45 years with her Mother and 53 years with her Father. She loves and misses them dearly. Never a cross word was had with either of them and they were true role models for how to live her life.

In 1975 she lost her fiancé to a tragic accident. Of course, this had a tremendous impact on the course of her life. It was three days after her 25th birthday. I am so thankful that she shared the story with me. She detailed their courtship, their bond, and all that she loved about him. She expressed being truly, deeply in love with him.

His passing left her at a crossroads. "I realized I wanted to throw myself into work in 1977. No one measured up to him." She has had romantic relationships in the years since and could have married but just was never felt that type of love again. She has had an exciting and unique professional life that afforded her the chance to travel quite a bit. Her relationship with her siblings, nieces, nephews, and extended family seems close.

What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Loyal / smart / fun                                                                    

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
I had my family over for Christmas Eve. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary just a little kids, cousins, having fun together.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
Share my deepest feelings. I'm still afraid to do that. Even with my best friend of 57 years.

Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
We would go somewhere and sit outside for coffee. We can visit the Liberty Memorial and The National Archives. Head to Lexington, MO for late lunch. Then, head to Pleasant Hill and listen to blue grass music. (My dad used to go there)

What event most shaped you over the last year?
Finding out I had two great nieces that I never knew about. They are 18 and 21 now. Their fathers never knew either. Now I am a Great Aunt and an instant Great-Great Aunt! Its thrilling!

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Learning new things every single day. Living life to the fullest. I want to learn every single day even if it is only a new word like twerking.

What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
That I want to write a book about Football

What do you know for sure?
I'm a happy person. An eternal optimist. Life is what you make it.

What is your mantra?
Learn from your past. Don't regret it. Enjoy life to the fullest.

What question do you want to be asked? 
What would you like to share with me?

If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Continue Learning

Your census data is: Single / No Kids / Never married

But, who are you really? Single / Fun / Driven 


So, what did I take away from this interview?
W3 looks back on her past with appreciation. She is glad for what she has had, learned from what she has lost, and lives each day like it could be her last. Your life does not have to be fodder for reality TV to be meaningful and inspiring. She really does seem to live in the moment.

You are as old as you feel and act. She is young at heart and has an open mind. If you choose to judge her by her age or her relationship status you could miss out on an opportunity to invite a wonderful, fun loving friend into your life. Did I mention she tells great jokes?

I could go on and on about W3 but the topics stray from the point of this blog. This interview was a poignant example of just how much can happen in the space of one life. Love, loss, learning, memories, ambition, and trials are all part of it. We can never really know what is on one another's hearts or what thoughts are rolling around in our minds unless we take the time to sit down and just talk. No agenda. No deadline. Just talk.



How did she shape me?
As we walked back to our cars she stopped and looked at me and said, "You asked me when I feel powerful. I feel powerful right now. I feel powerful thinking about how many good things are in my life."

What a gift! It was a total aha moment for me. When we maintain focus on what is working in our life we feel better. When we spend time with people who are living in the moment we are energized. When we acknowledge, out loud, that despite our challenges life is good we are powerful.


It really is just that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment