February 2, 2016

Super Bowl...of Snacks - Part 1 (Homemade Summer Sausage)

I don’t really care about the Super Bowl. Honestly, I don’t even understand football. However, I do like Super Bowl Parties. It is usually the first opportunity to catch up with friends after the start of a new year. The one catch is that you have to come up with a sharable snack to bring. Oh…and, you have to pretend to watch football.

I will break this down into three posts: 
(1) Homemade summer sausage. 
(2) Homemade Velveeta. 
(3) Soft pretzels. 

All three recipes can be paired with other items to assemble a pretty quality party buffet contribution. They are man friendly, kid friendly, and minimize preservatives and additives that would be found in the traditional, grab-and-go versions.

I am starting off with homemade summer sausage for two reasons. First, you must have meat at a sports party. This should go without saying. Second, this is a recipe that you prepare the first day, bake the following day and serve at room temperature or cold. So, you need to plan a little bit ahead.

I got this recipe from my friend, Jill. She occasionally makes this for parties and family holidays. I was admittedly reluctant the first time I tried it but much to my surprise it was delicious. Last year I made it for Valentine’s Day. I cut out heart shaped sausage, cheese, and carrots, added tiny red sweet peppers and crackers, and served up what I thought was a very manly, yet adorable, snack tray.


I will say that it is not visually appealing during the assembly. I use my Kitchen-aide mixer so I don’t have to handle it any more than is absolutely necessary. If you are a person that does not like to handle raw meat this may not be for you (fair warning). That being said it takes very little work or skill to pull this recipe off and it is a definite crowd pleaser.

Now, Let's Eat!

































NOTES: Info for comparison to store bought summer sausage. 

HILLSHIRE FARMS SUMMER SAUSAGE INGREDIENTS: PORK, BEEF, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, WHOLE MUSTARD SEED, DEXTROSE, VITAMIN C (SODIUM ASCORBATE), SODIUM NITRITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment