February 2, 2014

Trust Yourself (M2)

"I hate TV; the only channel I actually enjoy is PBS. I enjoy playing guitar, riding my bike, and hanging out with friends."

He shared his view on KC music venues saying Starlight is his favorite for a concert. He likes Knuckleheads and the Clarette Club for smaller venues. (The Clarette! I had to smile. My Grandma used to go there. It is great for darts and pool. What a dive.)

Part of our discussion was about books we are reading and where we get our recommendations. He said one of his favorites is The Journals of Lewis and Clark (Lewis & Clark Expedition). He said he thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it highly.

Man 2 (M2) agreed to meet with me out of curiosity. A mutual friend made the invitation and he said that coming from someone he trusted and liked he agreed without hesitation or question. When I arrived to meet him he had not seen the blog and really didn't know what it was about other than meeting single people. He felt the interview was a chance for introspection.


He feels like most things in his life are working for him right now. He is especially happy with his job.  He feels powerful when he is sharing information and influencing people. He enjoys speaking on topics he has expertise in, helping people learn and imparting knowledge. He gets the chance to do so during continuing education seminars he conducts as part of his work for a construction supply company.

When asked what he would do if he found his belief system was flawed he said, "I question everything." If he discovered his beliefs were in conflict with his life he said he would simply question more.

We discussed the Catholic Church. His father was Catholic and his mother a Lutheran. He said he believes in the basic values of the Church including forgiveness, compassion, and moderation. However, at its core, he feels the Catholic Church is a power structure and often flawed in its thought process. One example is the Vatican's agreed to accept the Nazi government in return for the Nazis not interfering with the Catholic Church in the 1939. (I had never heard that before so I looked it up. See below for a snippet of what I found)

So what are the challenges of being a single man? M2 is 39 years old and says most people he knows are accepting of him as a single. However, his father puts pressure on him to find someone. He characterized him as being critical and said he wants grandchildren.

"Wait, let me chug that." Maybe my favorite quote of the interview. The waiter picked up a nearly empty beer and he took it back, finished it, and then handed back the empty bottle. There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who waste beer and those who don't.

What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Funny / Philosophical / Aloof                                                       

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
Took a trip to Nashville. Hung out with old friends, went to a big party, and played music.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
I'm not afraid.

Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
I like having no plan. Just going where the day takes me. We could go for a bike ride. Then maybe head to the Nelson or the Downtown Public Library. Later we could have a few beers at the Blue Moose. Followed by a walk on the Plaza, around Loose Park, or even through Downtown. Finally, let's have dinner somewhere great like CafĂ© Provence, Story, The Thai Place, or Korma Sutra. 

What event most shaped you over the last year?
It was during Christmas time. I realized that my youngest brother and my Dad are similar. They both see themselves as victims rather than in control of their life.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Freedom and independence. I do what I want.

What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I had hair to my waist in high school and college.

What do you know for sure?
"I think, therefore I am."- Descartes 
I know that is a philosopher's answer.

What is your mantra?
I don't have one. I could give you my corporate mission statement if you want that.

What question do you want to be asked? 
Are you really this amazing?

If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Do more.

Your census data is: Single / No Kids / Divorced

But, who are you really? 
Single / Independent / Philosophical


So, what did I take away from this interview?
I think I need to so some reading! The Journals of Lewis and Clark will be on my non fiction list.

We talked about a lot of things that might normally cause a discussion to get heated. I found myself being really intrigued and enjoying  the discussion. There weren't many topics we talked about that I would have normally approached on a first meeting with someone.


How did he shape me?
I was encouraged by his willingness to meet with me without having any upfront information. I could use a bigger sense of adventure.

I loved his comment about visiting the Downtown Library on a day of fun. It is a great building and I rarely take time to leisurely walk through a building or park or museum just for fun. I am certain that I have not browsed a library for years.

Re: Catholic Church
After the Nazis came to power in Germany, they signed an agreement (Concordat) with the Catholic Church whereby the Vatican would accept the Nazi government in return for the Nazis not interfering with the Catholic Church.

In 1939 Eugenio Pacelli was elected Pope Pius XII. As head of the Catholic Church during the war years, he signed the Concordat with Nazi Germany. The Catholic Church, as an organisation, did not protest against any of the anti-Jewish policies of the Nazi state.

The Pope believed that primarily it was his duty to save and look after Catholics. Nevertheless, in 1939, he did obtain 3,000 visas to Brazil for Jews who had been baptised In the belief that these people were now Christian. But the Nazis defined Jews racially, even though they had converted, and believed they were still Jews.

The Vatican knew of the murder of the Jews very early on, as they had religious representatives in all of the occupied countries. Certain individual priests saved Jews but the Church, as an official body, did nothing significant to save the Jews of Europe.

http://www.theholocaustexplained.org/ks3/responses-1933-1945/what-did-individuals-do/how-did-the-catholic-church-respond/#.Uu6OjM_nY2w

No comments:

Post a Comment