June 9, 2014

The Only Constant Is Change (W14)

I quit my job and took six weeks to visit Ireland and travel through Europe. I am so glad I took the time away.

On the day I interviewed Woman 14 (W14) she was 29 years old. A few days later she turned the big 3-0. I, for one, think that an extended European vacation followed by landing a new job is a great way to walk out of your 20's with a fresh perspective.

I am very competitive. I feel powerful when I am playing sports, after a tough run or a big challenge.

My family is the part of my life that is working best right now. We have become close in the last few years. My mom is from Ireland and I have a lot of family there. The trip was a great chance to spend time with them.



My go-to when I want to relax is to have drinks with friends on a patio somewhere. Or, go to the pool or a beach. I love water and being in the sun! I am not big into concerts but do like seeing shows at The Midland. I saw Lady Gaga in concert once and that was great. I would like to explore more outdoor venues.

I think the thing most people misunderstand about my life as a single woman is that I am not incomplete without a man. (I would say that is a common misconception about  a lot of single women)

I like meeting new people. I read the blog and liked it. That was her very simple and perfectly good reason to agree to an interview. W14 is light hearted, ambitious, athletic, outgoing and single. It only took me one conversation to see that.

What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Loyal / Adventurous / Fun

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
I went to a Sporting KC game with my brother. I love sports!

What would you do if you were not afraid?
Talk to strangers. I would strike up conversation with new people.
Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
Beer kitchen for breakfast. Then head out to a Chiefs game complete with tailgating. Afterward, we can have dinner on the patio at McCoy's in Westport.
What event most shaped you over the last year?
I spent six weeks in Europe. It opened my eyes to how other people live, other cultures, and opinions. It was interesting to be the minority, the one who doesn't speak the language, or know the town. I was on the other side of the coin.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Freedom.
What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I was painfully shy as a child.
What do you know for sure?
It comes down to faith. I know where I am going when I die.

What is your mantra?
When one door closes another one opens.
What question do you want to be asked? 
What would you recommend? (Opens the door for me to share  my opinion)
If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Move on.

Your census data is: Single / No kids / Never married
But, who are you really? Single / Kind / Sports fan


So, what did I take away from this interview?
Work. Exercise. Relax. Repeat!

She described a life of working and exercising with great discipline during the week followed by rest and relaxation on the weekend. She takes her health as seriously as her career.

She seemed confident in her professional abilities and her athletic pursuits. It was fun to talk with a woman who thinks about what she wants. She has decidedly not fallen into the trap of waiting for someone or something to come along and make her happy.
How did she shape me?
I loved it when she told me that she is not incomplete without a man.

It is so dangerous to fall into the fantasy that finding "the right partner" will complete you. Unfortunately, If you feel incomplete alone you will likely feel incomplete in a relationship.

I mean who are you kidding? Every romantic comedy in history is filled with years of longing, tragic life altering events, break ups and break downs.

Singleness is less intimidating when you don't need another person to put a roof over your head or food on your table.  Conversely, it is tricky to keep a relationship together when two people are aware that they can each survive on their own. In relationships we become intolerant of one another's flaws yet somehow tragically addicted to our own.

Of course, finding someone you want to be with is an amazing thing. It is an incredible compliment for someone to choose you because they want/love/adore you rather than because they need you. We can be as empowered by our freedoms as we are by our partners. It is a great compliment to be chosen by a capable, complete person. (I hope you have a tear in your eye right now because that shit is deep.)

Finally, you probably saw this one coming...but, she made me want to take a vacation. A long, rambling trip through a distant place. The whole goal will be to get far enough away from my everyday routine that I find out something new about myself. Something that I would not otherwise see though my usual busyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment