February 16, 2014

Feelings: Making Stuff Weird (W6)

She drinks whisky. That was all I needed to know; or so I thought. Women who drink whisky are
gritty. Even when her conversation or personal style is soft and sweet a whisky drinker has moxie.

Woman 6 (W6) has lived in Kansas City for four years. She loves Grinders, Crossroads KC for concerts and for live theatre she loves The Living Room Theatre.

What's working in her life right now? Acting and comedy. "I want to be a working actor. One that doesn't have to keep a survival job." She expressed feeling powerful when she is on stage with friends. She feels supported and knows that someone has her back.

In our discussion about acting she said, "I can do it because I was made to do it". She is aware that she may never find great wealth as an actor but would like to make a living. "I will never be broke. I'm rich in everything."

I asked why she decided to meet with me. We were strangers and at the time of the interview she had not read the blog. She explained, "I was asked to participate by a good friend. I'm in the arts and I wanted to be supportive and believe in your project. Give and take. I thought it sounded fun and not too serious."


Toward the end of our conversation I asked her what she would do if she realized her belief system didn't work for her anymore. She said, " It doesn't work all the time. That is the beauty of being human. I love that I can change my mind. We get too fixated on being right. Instead, we should focus on feeling and being [in the present]. Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic; they all share free will."

It's not often you meet someone who is so comfortable with differences, the unknown, and change. The ability to observe without feeling entitled to levy judgment is refreshing. It's particularly refreshing coming from a talented 26 year old woman.

W6 explained that memories are practiced. "It's important for me to remember. I didn't just shoot out awesome. My parents played a part."

"My mom is great. A really classy lady", she said with a  smile.

She told me that her dad was a youth pastor. He passed away when she was 17. He was sick for a while and knew he was terminal. They spent time together and he used humor, at times, to lighten the mood.

 As a child she remembers making sack lunches and driving around looking for homeless people to give them to. One memory that stands out for her was passing a man sleeping on the street. They stopped and left a sack lunch next to him. When they passed back by later the man was awake so her dad stopped to talk to him. In their conversation the guy told him, "While I was asleep an angel left this for me".

Her father taught her about kindness and giving. Now, an adult, she reflects on that event as a reminder of the hope and grace that exist in this world. "What is an angel? Who saves who?"

What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Loyal / bad ass / game for whatever                                                          

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
Had a snow day. Hung out with some dudes. We had some drinks, we smoked, watched documentaries, played games, made a snow fort and a bonfire.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
pursue gentlemen 

Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
We will have brunch at The Farmhouse. I love their brunch. Then drive around and find cool graffiti and take pictures. Maybe we would go to the Nelson. We could always go to Gates BBQ if the mood strikes.

What event most shaped you over the last year?
I was in the play "Death of Cupid". Participating in that show gave me more confidence as a woman. I had fun. The costumes and music were unlike anything I had worked with before. We did the whole show in a giant sandbox. The whole experience was amazing.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Doing what I love. I don't like days off. I would rather work.

What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I'm a pretty open book. I guess they might be surprised that I don't know if I want to have kids.
What do you know for sure?
Even when I am alone I am not alone.

What is your mantra?
You have to be the coolest person you know.
Everyone does. If you are not a cool bitch you are just a bitch.

What question do you want to be asked? 
Will you tell me about your Dad?

If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Chin up.

Your census data is: Single /  No Kids / Never Married

But, who are you really? Single / Awesome / Passionate


So, what did I take away from this interview?

She was recommended by a mutual friend for this interview. Meeting her was proof positive that there is one degree of separation between me and a lot of amazing people. We just have to find a way to meet. If KC singles can learn how to mingle our social lives will get much richer.

The other thing I learned is how deceiving pictures can be. I had researched her on the internet prior to our meeting. I saw several photos and developed a mental picture of her based on the mutual acquaintance, online profiles of her, and available headshots.

She was not what I expected. It's hard to describe but she was just so much more. She was carefree, honest, and quick to laugh. She was so genuine and unassuming, She was charismatic. Her picture was beautiful but in person I got a sense of her character that I could not perceive otherwise.

Online pictures and profiles deliver a resume. They do not deliver personality and they cannot communicate the soul of a person. We have to get face to face.

How did she shape me?
W6 aspires to make her living doing what she loves.  She is confident in her abilities. She believes the world offers hope and grace. She finds value in relationships and does not define herself by her tax bracket or her address.

Her view seemed pure. She was not mired in self doubt or distracted by unrealistic ideals.

She reminded me that true joy is found in living out your passions. Give yourself over to your dreams and be unapologetic about it. If I live my live out with passion I will find myself surrounded by like minded, supportive people. Life doesn't come with an instruction manual. Thank God for that because I'm finding that the thrill is in navigating the turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment