February 13, 2014

It's Not You. It's Me.

We have all been there.


If you think you haven't been there you will be. Trust me!

You find yourself attracted to someone that is outside of your social circle. Or, maybe not your typical "type". Or, maybe they have a different faith. Different skin color. Different cultural background. Or, maybe, they are <insert gasp here> vegan.

It is a breath of fresh air to find someone you can relate to. Whether just a friend or something more intimate in nature finding a true companion is a rare and wonderful gift.  And then it happens.

Your friends. Your family. Your coworkers.

Everyone is a helper. They come busting in and kill your buzz. Opinions. advice. Cautionary tales. Suddenly your cozy little party of two becomes Open Mic Night.


That's when all hell breaks loose. In your head. Where things can get so messy that no white board, no amount of journaling, not even happy hour can fix.

Insecurity. Self doubt. We all wrestle with our self image. We want people to like us and we want them to like our friends. We particularly want them to like the person we date. After all, who you choose to love says a lot about who you are. Right?

It would be tragic to find a good friend, a confidant, or the love of your life and have it fall apart because that little voice in your head keeps saying, "they are all going to laugh at you". I want to think we are better then that. I hope that we are more supportive friends. I hope we can conquer self doubt. I hope.

Of course, these thoughts were provoked by being under the influence of someone else's brilliant artwork. Usually it is music that moves me. Sometimes politics or oppression (are those the same thing?) bend my brain. This week it was live, local theatre.

Earlier this week I went to The Living Room Theatre to see Fat Pig by Neil LaBute.

Loved the Theatre. Great location, comfortable space, cool vibe.
Loved the play. The cast was great. I was especially impressed with the female characters. The show was done in promenade style which literally kept things moving.
Loved the message. I've heard great art should pull you out of your comfort zone. Ummmm. Mission accomplished.

I'm telling you this because I want your life to be fulfilling. (Actually I am telling you because I want you to change the way you think about singleness and dating) I want you to support local theatre. And, when I find cool things I try to share.

Time is wasting folks! Go check it out. Love Day (or V.D.) is creeping up on you and you deserve a night on the town. Oh yeah, and they serve liquor and popcorn.

The Living Room Theatre

It's not about how it looks. It's about how it feels. Shut off the hype and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment