October 1, 2015

On To New Adventures (M15)

Things happen for a reason. There is no coincidence.


Man 15 (M15) recently moved to the Kansas City Metro seeking new scenery, adventure, and ambitious, energetic people to add to his ever growing network.


He spends his time actively growing relationships and building that network of people all around him. He purposefully surrounds himself with people of all ages.  He explained that no one should ever be judged by their age. At 65 years old he described some of his closest friends to me including people from several generations. 

He dedicates a good amount of time as a Fraternity Advisor. Additionally, he advises [college] students who are campaigning for office. He feels powerful when he has influence on a situation. Over the course of our interview I gathered that he also has a lot of fun in his work. Among some of the fun stories he told me was one about being initiated into a fraternity at 64 years old and also a recent bachelor party invite he received. (No, he didn't go. But, that could have a been a great story!)

 He has had the opportunity to see many of these students move from the college environment into the business world. He told me that he grows and learns just as much from these friendships as they do. 

M15 explained that he was a caregiver for 10 years. He lost his wife after a long bout with illness. We did not discuss their marriage in great detail but as anyone who has ever been a caregiver or has needed one knows taking on this role is an act of great love and devotion.

He was clear that he is not particularly interested in dating. Although, he said he does feel pressure from others to do so from time to time. He is primarily interested in enjoying a life filled with interesting, exciting people and experiences. 

I am limited by my worries about health even though I am healthy.

I was surprised when he told me he worries about his health. He appears to be in great physical health, astute, interesting, insightful, and definitely has an energy of a person who is fully alive and engaged. I suppose we all fret about our health at some point. However, he doesn't seem to hold back much. He continues to exercise, travel, and keeps a busy calendar.

He explained that what works best in his life right now is how things are going as the Fraternity Advisor. He does not have a favorite KC music venue. He said that he is not really into music but does listen to 70's music when he is driving. When he wants to have fun he talks with friends or goes out for a meal. When he wants to relax he does genealogical research. 

I have been interested in genealogy since the mid 80's. 

I do not watch TV. 
(I have interviewed several people who don't watch TV. They sure seem happy!)


What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Passionate / Caring/ Connector

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
Every day has been enjoyable. I moved to a new place. Everything is new. I am meeting a lot of new people.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
I am adventurous. I would take even more travel risk. I would have taken more risk in relationships.

Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
Midwest Genealogical Society for six or seven hours. Then we would go to Plaza III. Why would you want anything else?

What event most shaped you over the last year?
I had lunch with a friend on The Plaza - I made the decision to move to the Plaza from a smaller, more remote Kansas town. My younger friends encourage me to do more. I started meeting with a personal trainer.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Trying new things like moving to KC.

What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I am introverted. I like alone time. I don’t like being in big groups of strangers.

What do you know for sure?
Each person can do far more than they think they can do.

What is your mantra?
Do whatever I can to help others find what they are good at.

What question do you most want to be asked?
What is your next adventure? 
(to remain young you need new things to look to)

If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Live life.

Your census data is: Single/ Married once / One child

Who are you really?
Single/ Energized / Caring


So, what did I take away from this interview?
In every season of life we all have something important and meaningful to offer. Additionally, with every season comes new lessons. Life will take you where you where it wants to. Change is inevitable.

The most important lessons from this interview were:
1. Stay open to possibility.
2. Bring your best self every day.
3. Avoid habits and hobbies that waste time or isolate you.
4. Stay focused on how you can positively impact and grow the people around you.

That all sounds so simple. I gathered that the key is to be purposeful and consistent in your daily life.

How did he shape me?
As a mentor, an advisor, and a friend to a younger generation of men he spends his time, talent, and energy helping them recognize and realize their potential. He has gained wisdom through life experience. However, the value of that wisdom is found in sharing it with other people.

That shapes me through the realization that what he is doing not only adds to their journey but it plants the seed for them to become mentors and advisors themselves. It is that generational sharing of wisdom and friendship that creates a legacy and binds people together in a meaningful way.

In the end it's not necessarily the type of work that a person does that matters. It is the impact that their life's work (paid or unpaid) has on the lives around them.

More generally, talking with him was affirmation that meeting new people is always a good idea.

Networking is a good idea.There does not need to be an agenda. Asking people I know to introduce me to someone I might connect with in a positive way is a good idea.

He demonstrated that life can be exciting and eventful no matter your age or relationship status. While he and I have different paths both paths could be considered unconventional.

I have met enough single, active, interesting people during this blogging experience to recognize that our lives are not as unusual as we have been lead to believe.




No comments:

Post a Comment