April 26, 2014

The Unknown (M7)

I think I just met a real life Renaissance Man!


Man 7 (M7) revealed multiple layers of interests and insight. In some ways he is a big kid. In other ways he is an old soul. He epitomizes "the guy next door".

He told me that he feels powerful when he's driving  his truck. Or, when he can maintain eye contact with a stranger longer than they do. The way he explained it sounded like a social experiment in connection. So many people are lost in their phone or iPod desperate to avoid human connection.

My job and my finances are what works best in my life right now. I am living debt free. I think I am more knowledgeable than powerful. I am intelligent; street smart and book smart.

Refreshing to meet a 27 year old man who is interested in knowledge rather than obsessed with power.


On being a single guy: Not all guys are super confident or ask girls out. If you like someone you should be able to talk to them. But I don't always do that. Maybe I am missing something.

He credits his parents with teaching him about kindness. We talked a bit about his life growing up. Sounded like his parents were focused on family and raised their kids with Christian values.

I value the lessons I learned growing up.  I am not a religious person. I am a good person even though I am not religious.

In my free time I enjoy building things, playing ultimate Frisbee, and watching movies. I like all kinds of things including sports and cars. I own an antique fire truck. (I saw a picture and I must say it's pretty cool)

One of my favorite things is finding a great burger joint. I would say Grandstand Burgers has the best value but Ruby Tuesday has the best quality burger.

I agreed to meet with you because I thought participating in the blog would be fun to try.

He told me that in years past he would have been unlikely to agree to such a request. Now that he has walked through this time of trial with is mother he said he is quicker to take a chance and try new things. After all, what does he have to lose?

What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Concise / Observer / Creative                                         

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
I saw a movie with a friend.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
I would move to Colorado or the coast. I would buy a house. I would buy and use a paramotor.
(you know I had to get you a sample! I had never heard of such a thing)

Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
Kayaking and hiking in Shawnee Mission Park. Then go shoot guns on my family's land. In the afternoon we would take a helicopter tour of the city. Finally, ride roller coasters at World's of Fun. We might even go sky diving.
What event most shaped you over the last year?
My mom's health. She has been fighting cancer and I have been a caretaker along with other family members.  My relationship with my siblings has improved as a result. It has been an awakening.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Work. I enjoy the people and the challenge. I see opportunity.

What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I don't know.
What do you know for sure?
Not much. I am financially secure. I am not where I want to be.

What is your mantra?
Enjoy the little things. (it's really more of an internal narrative)

What question do you want to be asked? 
Do you want to have a beer?  -- it can open the door to anything.

I want someone to show genuine interest. I want people to break the ice with me without boring me.

If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Travel more.

Your census data is: Single / 0 Kids / Never married
But, who are you really? Single / Successful / Approachable


So, what did I take away from this interview?
Siblings can be so different. I know M7's brother so I had his description/perspective going into the interview. During the interview I was intrigued by how different M7's opinions, world view, and personal style are from what I know of his brothers. The more we talked I could start to see some of the same mannerisms. It was striking that they could be so similar in some ways and incredibly different in others.

It was amazing how much my impression of M7 changed from the moment he walked in to the time he left. From the outset of our discussion he was very matter of fact in his answers. He said he had not read the blog so I think he was truly candid in his answers. We talked about education, work, personal finance, and career ambitions. He lead with his head, his thoughts were organized, he seemed honest and insightful.

The more we got into the discussion he loosened up and I feel like I got to see another side of him. He showed me pictures of his antique fire truck and of him trying out a paramotor he bought on craigslist ( 1. Scary! 2. Totally Inspector Gadget)

He told me about his mom and what it has meant for his family to walk through this time together. We talked about growing up, religion, parents, siblings, the pros and cons of moving away from your home town. It should not go without saying that we covered where to get the best hamburger. You can learn a lot about a person based on how the define a good burger! During those parts of our discussion I saw that he is crazy fun, has a great sense of adventure, is super handy, and really is all heart at the end of the day.
How did he shape me?

He shocked me a little bit. It was like looking into an intellectual mirror. I can totally relate to the hope that interesting new people will strike up a conversation. All the while being worried that things could get boring and I will be trapped in a conversation I don't want. (Just the kind of thing that keeps me up at night!)

On a more serious level I loved what he had to say about how his mom's bout with cancer has shaped him. He was resolute about doing what needed to be done to care for her. He was not lost in sadness or self pity. He said that going through this has changed his relationship with his siblings for the better. He is trying new things and said he feels like he is open to opportunities he may have previously disregarded. He has been shaped by the experience and seemingly for the good. (Note: his mom is doing really well currently)

I really loved hearing about all the things he does for fun. So many people I meet struggle to fit fun into their life. Kayaking. Sky diving. Shooting guns. Paramotoring. Collecting things (cars, tools, recreational equipment). Building. Tinkering. Ultimate Frisbee. Sporting events. Movies. Grilling out. (This is the big kid part)

I should have more fun! I have wanted a kayak for three years. I tried it several years ago on vacation and really loved it. I am not an athletic or extremely outdoorsy person. So, finding something I enjoyed was a welcome surprise. For whatever reason I have not made the time to buy and enjoy a kayak. Upon leaving the interview I was certain that I will not let another summer go by without taking the time to enjoy kayaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment