April 19, 2014

Enjoying the Manifestation I Am Creating (M6)

I'm working on reducing inner chatter and ending negative thoughts.

We met at Kona Grill for sushi. As soon as he started eating he said, "I am in Heaven!" Man 6 (M6) is 48 years old. He attends Unity of Kansas City North and works as a Realtor. Our conversation included topics like spirituality, self employment, relationships, the path to inner peace and joy, and ideas surrounding the pursuit of a fulfilled life. His spiritual life is full and he was excited to share his experience with me. This is what he had to say.

There are no original sinners. Just original blessings. I am living my life seeking complete healing and wholeness.

It is hard to grasp how powerful words are. You have to be careful with the words that you choose. Affirmative prayer is a good example. I believe in praying the good you already have rather then praying for the good. The good things are here. (Read that again. That's deep)


My dominant trait is mediation. My weakness is a tendency to put myself 2nd. I feel powerful when I stand up for my healthy boundaries because that is when I am truly respecting myself.

I read affirmations every morning and play a singing bowl. Meditation is the part of my life that is working best right now. I am actively seeking inner peace. My outer world is simply a reflection of my inner world. I believe that we all attract things into our lives. Currently, I am attracting really fun stuff!

Being a single guy has changed the flow of my life. This is a simpler lifestyle. I am totally free every minute of every day. I am so blessed with a life full of hobbies, work, and volunteer activities.

I agreed to be interviewed because I like my friend that asked. I like meeting new people and thought I might learn something about myself.

My parents were community centric. We moved three times when I was a kid. They always plugged in to the community and gave back. They were not spiritual people but they lead spiritual lives.

In the last year my father passed away and I was involved in a major car accident. As a result of my injuries I was off work for two months. Amazingly, I had my best year ever in sales. That accident opened my eyes to what really drives my business. It opened my eyes to the reality that God is everywhere.

One of my favorite moments over the last year was being awarded the Cooperative Spirit Award from Re/Max. It was awarded by a vote of my professional peers.

I am a social person and really enjoy spending time with friends. I love football! I also enjoy listening to audio books in the car. I prefer smaller music venues as I get older. I want to see the wrinkles on their faces! Some of the venues I enjoy are The Midland, The Uptown, and Voodoo Lounge. One of my favorite local performers is Lonnie McFadden.

What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Loving / Joyful / Spiritual                                           

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
This morning. I was signing some loan papers as part of my duties as a Church Board Member. I struck up a conversation with the banker and ended up setting an appointment to show him homes. It was a moment where I was doing the right thing and the universe rewarded me for it.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
I am not afraid.

(F)alse (E)vidence (A)ppearing (R)eal
Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
Our day would be a Sunday. We would go to church at Unity of Kansas City North. Then we would head to Kates' Kitchen. Our afternoon would be spent at Weston Bend State Park taking a long walk and enjoying the outdoors. We will have a prime rib dinner at Houston's on The Plaza. To finish up our day we will see John Hyatt at The Uptown.
What event most shaped you over the last year?
I was in a major car wreck in May. I was off work for two months and went on to have my best year in sales. The whole event opened my eyes to the fact that God is everywhere.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Spiritual growth. I enjoy "me time". Being single I don't get lost in a relationship or in someone else's needs or agenda.

What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I was an atheist 10 years ago.
What do you know for sure?
I am a spiritual being living a human experience.
What is your mantra?
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

What question do you want to be asked? 
Do you want to go do something together?

I enjoy just going and having fun with friends. Always glad to get an invite.

If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Love yourself

Your census data is: Single / 0 Kids / Divorced
But, who are you really? Single / Funny / Compassionate


So, what did I take away from this interview?

It is hard to grasp how powerful words are. You have to be careful with the words that you choose. Affirmative prayer is a good example. I believe in praying the good you already have rather then praying for the good. The good things are here.

He explained this statement in greater detail. It was an interesting thought that I have never heard before.

(The following is a portion of the explanation I found at http://www.unity.org/prayer/what-affirmative-prayer)

By using an affirmative prayer approach, we can visualize and plan for the future with faith that the power of God is continually blessing our lives with unlimited possibilities. Affirmative prayer leads to an awakening of our spiritual selves. In faith, we pray giving thanks in advance that the Universe is meeting our every need.

When most people think of prayer, they think of asking God for something.

Not so in Unity.

Unity uses “affirmative prayer.” Rather than begging or beseeching God, this method involves connecting with the spirit of God within and asserting positive beliefs about the desired outcome. Affirmative prayer is the same method of prayer Jesus taught when he said, “So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” (Mark 11:24).

My outer world is simply a reflection of my inner world.
This one is difficult to sum up. It speaks to the debate between choice and chance.

Are we responsible for our reality?
Does everything happen for a reason?
Or, is this a statement about attitude regardless of environment?
How did she shape me?

When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.
That statement rings true for me. This blog is a perfect example. I am curious about single people and the what's and why's of their lives. So, instead of continuing to assume I understood their lives I started asking them to tell me about themselves. It has been an incredible journey so far and I am really just getting started.

Interviewing people has shaped the way I think. It has shaped the way I interact with my own friends and family. Most importantly, it has shaped how I present myself to others. This experience has helped me to look on the bright side and see that no matter a persons relationship status there is always a lot of great things in life.


1 comment: