August 17, 2014

The Best Is Yet To Come (W15)

I wanted to stick my neck out and do something different. I decided to be interviewed because I am an open book. Being single doesn't mean I am not an adult.

Like several people I have interviewed recently Woman 15 (W15) was introduced to me by a previous interviewee. I love when that happens! I love meeting a friend of a friend. It's eye opening to see this chain link of amazing people unfolding all around me and realizing that the distance between us is one single conversation (accompanied by delicious mexican food in this case).

I have a good life. I enjoy running and listening to music. When I need to relax I like to get out on the water. Even sitting on the dock will work.

When I am running I try to focus on something different for every mile. It helps me get through the race. I try to finish in the middle of the pack. I feel powerful after I work out.



I also feel powerful when I am in the zone at work. I love my job. Work/life balance is what is working in my life right now.

I have awesome friends. In my free time I enjoy fostering dogs and doing volunteer work. I take advantage of opportunities.

I like jazz, rock, and classic rock. My favorite concert was seeing Earth, Wind, and Fire and the OJ's with my Dad on my 21st Birthday. Other great ones were Stone Temple Pilots when I was in high school and Garth Brooks 7th show when he opened the Sprint Center.

The best moment in my life was when I walked through the Campanile at KU graduating with my Masters Degree. I was the first person in my family to achieve this goal. Growing up I was not a great student but I got good grades in college and was thrilled to achieve my degree.

W15 was 39 years old when we met. My last request of her was "finish this sentence, [Woman 15] is..."

Her response:  [W15] is awesome. (seems pretty legit to me)


What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Funny / Genuine / Spontaneous                               

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
It's a tie.

1. I met Bill Snyder at an alumni recognition event for my college. Afterward, I received a hand written thank you note from him in the mail.

2. I had the chance to work the WWE Wrestling Event at Sprint Center. I met several Wrestlers. I am a huge fan and it was a great night.
What would you do if you were not afraid?
I would speak my mind and stand up for myself.
Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
In the morning we would go the Farmer's Market and do some antiquing. Our afternoon would be at a Royals or Chiefs game along with tailgating. We would end the day with a great dinner at El Maguey.
What event most shaped you over the last year?
I changed from a job that was all consuming to one that allowed me to have better work/life balance. I really like my work but don't want it to consume my life. It is has been a really refreshing change.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
Doing what I want when I want.
What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I'm happy -- even single.
What do you know for sure?
There is nothing wrong with me. I have good friends and a good life.
What is your mantra?
If you always do what you did you will always get what you got.
What question do you want to be asked? 
I just wish people would ask me whatever they want and not worry about being politically correct.
If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
You're awesome.

Your census data is: Single / No kids / Never married
But, who are you really? Single / Positive / Open

So, what did I take away from this interview?

Happiness comes in many forms. Real joy goes much deeper than relationship status. Honestly, I don't even know if the word "status" is anywhere in the equation.

To steal from the songbird Trisha Yearwood W15 is a "real live woman". She is genuine, honest, and humble. She was able to express herself in a positive way. Of course she has insecurities and there are parts of her life that she is working to improve. More importantly, she knows where her strength lies.

She loves her friends. She values the people in her life just as they are. She works to support them and lets them support her.

She has overcome difficulty in her life and will continue to do so. She has battled cancer. She has chosen to maintain a work/life balance (which is a different challenge when you don't have the check and balance of a spouse or child screaming for you to come home)

I am finding that the singles I interview who do not have kids of their own typically do have children in their life that are near and dear to them. W15 spoke fondly of the kids in her life. She showed me a few pictures and told me a few stories of times she has spent with them.

People who do not have their own children are not necessarily anti-child.

Note to parents: Take a moment to think about the other adults in your children's lives. Kids need a support network. A single person can be a good role model demonstrating that not every person or family is the same.

Parents cannot meet every need their child has and I for one don't think they should try to. It is important to build a network around yourself and your family. Teach your child to do the same.
How did she shape me?

After I met with her I just kept thinking that the key is to be happy with what you have. More will come (good and bad). Life changes. You change. I will change. Being happy comes and goes.

Joy is the result of knowing what is real and living in that space. There is nothing wrong with who we are. It's juvenile but I kept thinking of a preschool teacher saying, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Yep, that is pretty much the deal. Doesn't matter what you have if you don't know how to work it.

Single/Couple. Fat/Skinny. Happy day/Sad day. Tall/Short. Sunny/Rainy.
Blond/Brunette (wait...I can change that)

Her life doesn't fit a stereotype. She likes what she likes. She is who she is. It was really that simple.

The beauty is actually in the imperfection. That is true every single time. She is right; she is awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment