May 31, 2014

?... (M8)

I love big brains. Seriously. One of my favorite things is stumbling into a conversation someone who
is crazy smart, or well read, or super interesting.

This interview was a perfect example of a conversation with an intelligent, curious person who enjoys life.

Man 8 (M8) is 39 years old working in medical device sales and marketing. He travels frequently for work and for fun.

When my friend suggested I be interviewed for your blog I said yes with no hesitation. He asked and I said yes. Man 8 told me that from his view point the thing people most misunderstand about being a single man is that  he don't have as much free time as people assume. (Like all single people he either has to handle everything or find someone else to do it and pay them. His statement gave me flashbacks to my Dad saying that he had kids to do laundry, dishes, vacuum and mow the lawn.)


I enjoy being social and meeting new people, spending time with friends and listening to music of all kinds. I read a lot. I like Mother Jones, Slate, Gawker, Huffington Post, NPR, and The Wall Street Journal. I enjoy listening to "This American Life" as well.

My favorite music venue for live music is The Crossroads. Gusto is my favorite spot to hear a DJ. It reminds me of places back east. It has a very diverse patronage. I like to see classical performances at The Kauffman or jazz at The Green Lady Lounge. One of my favorite live shows I've seen was Nora Jones at The Midland.

I asked him when he feels powerful. He replied that he did not have a good answer. He said he is massively insecure.

When asked about what is working in his life right now he responded, Right now my career is working well. My relationship with my mother. And, my dog likes me.

He mentioned the following quotes in our conversation. I love great quotes so I thought I would share.

Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative. - Oscar Wilde

Trust, but verify. -- Ronald Reagan

The heart is forever making the head its fool. --Francois de La Rochefoucauld

A man's only as old as the woman he feels. -- Groucho Marks


What three words would your best friend use to describe you?
Fun / Connected / Motivated                                       

What is the most fun thing you have done in the last 30 days?
I spent this last weekend in Vegas with friends. I met this cool chick and we hung out. It was just a really fun weekend. Not pretentious. It was really carefree and smooth.

What would you do if you were not afraid?
Approach more women.
Where would we go for a "day of fun" in Kansas City?
It has to be a Saturday or Sunday. 10-11ish start. Brunch at Port Fonda. Go swimming at Woodside and have tequila snow cones. Later, have dinner at Westport Bar & Café. Then take a car service to a Sporting Game and we have to get Field Club seats. Finally head back to Westport for a drink at Harry's in Westport and dancing at Gusto.
What event most shaped you over the last year?
I made a financial commitment to my health. Last December I had a bad check up. So I started seeing a trainer and found a great doctor and medical concierge service. Now, even when I am traveling for work I can get regular, informed medical attention.

What is your favorite part of your life right now?
I can do whatever I want. I travel and enjoy life without compromise.
What would new friends be surprised to learn about you?
I need more reassurance than my friends realize.
What do you know for sure?
Life goes on.

What is your mantra?
"Le coeur veut ce qu'il veut"  (The heart wants what it wants)

What question do you want to be asked? 
Where did you go on your last trip?

I really just want to have a real conversation. Superficial conversation gets old.
If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in 2 words?
Take chances.

Your census data is: Single / No kids / Never married
But, who are you really? Single / Cultured / Adventurous


So, what did I take away from this interview?

His Father passed away in 2002. This stood out for me because I see a lot of similarities among men who lose their father during their early adult years. During these years men are "coming of age" and realizing goals such as graduating from college, landing their first job, having initial financial, professional, and relationship successes. That father-son relationship comes into play at such junctures.

Everyone is deeply impacted by the relationship (or lack there of) with our fathers. I think the father-son relationship functions different than the father-daughter relationship. The loss of a parent is always a major life event. When that loss occurs in a time period otherwise marked by significant, personal landmarks it changes a person and the impact is profound. (and, obviously interesting to me)

M8 is incredibly ambitious. This is evidenced by his success in a demanding career field, dedication to health and wellness,  and an obvious love of life, travel, and a vibrant social life. His ambition is surely an intrinsic part of him but I can't help but think it is enhanced by the impact of the love and relationship between him and his father.
How did he shape me?

I loved his honesty about being insecure even though he acknowledges his own success. I think we all feel that way. I know I do. One way to stay competitive is to never think you are smarter than the game.

He made me want to read more. More blogs, more news outlets, more everything.

Finally, I think I should go dancing.



No comments:

Post a Comment